Blues guitarist Charles Baty (“Little Charlie and the Nightcats”) is a friend of HI Travel Tales. Although Baty semi-retired in 2008 (his co-founder continues with the award-winning Nightcats band), he stills steps into a gig or a tour now and then which takes him on the road. He has offered some of his personal journal entries to HI Travel Tales during this Golden State-Lone Star Revue tour with Mark Hummel and the Blues Survivors.Read More
Sometimes you get stuck in a grind, a life that sucks you into a day-to-day routine that leads to being unfit and unhealthy. Sometimes, if you make travel important, travel can be your lifesaver, leading you to a fresh start or exposing you to a mind-opening experience that affects you deeply and changes your life forever.Read More
Today is Mother’s Day for me, my mum’s birthday. Though Mary passed away on May 27, 2001, following a painful battle with cancer, I still take time every Dec. 12 to honor her. I miss my mother, but today, as I do on every birthday of hers, I smile at the many wonderful memories, and thank her for all she gave to me.Read More
As a traveler, adventurer, and artist I have long enjoyed sketching and painting, but it was not until a bucket-list trip in 2012 where I crewed on a sailboat for the crossing from Fiji to New Zealand that I discovered a passion for channeling my creative side on the iPad and creating unique pieces of iPad art. My original pieces were quick sketches and watercolors created with the program Paper53. I also draw and paint, favoring oil pastel, ink and watercolor, working primarily in the program Procreate as I enjoy the numerous brushes and pens and wide color pallet to choose...Read More
Rain slick streets of Shanghai lie worn but resolute under two millennia of bare feet, sandals, hooves and wheels. The people run to work, hurry to school, linger in produce shops; peddling bikes, racing scooters, driving beat-down cars and over-stuffed delivery trucks. We are packed onto buses, waving for taxis and queuing for the metro.Read More
“Hang on,” yelled our river guide Kevin with a grin. Leaning hard against the river’s pull, the oars bent slightly and the raft heaved to, taking a line that would carry us clear of the rocks, but right into the heart of the maelstrom. Heartbeats kept pace with the increasing speed of the raft as Kevin launched us into the jumble of waves. The raft bucked and heaved, so much so that in the middle of the rapid I managed to execute a nearly perfect back flip with a twist, landing smack in Kevin’s lap.Read More
I stood at the bottom of the cliffs, staring up at my first Dolomites via ferrata, or “road with irons,” — the Via Ferrata Tridentina.
“Where does it go?” I asked the others with me as we slipped on our harnesses and helmets to head out on the Tridentina route in Italy’s Dolomites. I squinted into the sun, trying to make out any of the iron stairs, cables or ladders along the route on the rock face stretching to the sky above. “Can we see it from here? It doesn’t go straight up THAT, does it?”Read More
It was only 7 a.m. and we were still in the Sierra high country making our way over snow banks when the first warm gust of wind brushed my eyelashes. “Well, that’s a harbinger of things to come,” I mumbled aloud to no one in particular although the comment elicited grunts from the Western States 100 competitors who happened to be near me only two hours after the pre-dawn start in 2006. Per Murphy’s Law, the temperatures just days before the 33rd running of the granddaddy of 100 milers on June 24, 2006, suddenly spiked to about 106 degrees...Read More
OUR LATEST POSTS
Save On Hotels!
- Central America
- North America
- South America
- South Pacific | Oceana
- StioSave 60% + Free Shipping On The Stio Shot 7 Down Jacket - Shop Now
- StioWinter Sale At Stio! Now Save Up To 60% On Past Season Styles At Stio.com. Shop Women's Here!
- Sierra Trading PostALPS Mountaineering 20?F Echo Lake Sleeping Bag - Synthetic, Mummy - Sale Price: $39.99, Retail Price: $79.99 (50% Off) Expires: April 27, 2017
- Sierra Trading PostSaucony Kinvara 7 Running Shoes (For Women) - Sale Price: $59.99, Retail Price: $110.00 (45% Off) Expires: April 27, 2017
- Eastern Mountain SportsEms Men's Techwick Vital Short-Sleeve Travel Tee - Size L - Sale Price: $15.00, Retail Price: $30.00 (50% Off) Expires: April 27, 2017
- PatagoniaBaby Micro D Snap-T Jacket - Now $29.00, Was $49.00 (Save $20.00) Expires: April 27, 2017
- MoosejawGet 30% back in Moosejaw Rewards Dollars. Use code 3XREWARD or the deal won't work and you'll ruin everything. Coupon Code: 3XREWARD Expires: April 30, 2017
- MoosejawGet 30% back in Moosejaw Rewards Dollars. Use code 3XREWARD or the deal won't work and you'll ruin everything. Ends 4/30/17, so hop to. Coupon Code: 3XREWARD Expires: April 30, 2017
- KUHLThe KUHL AIRSPEED(TM) LS Shirt is a game changer! Click Here to find out why.
- KUHLShop Kuhl.com for the best selection of the DESTROYR Pant, plus FREE SHIPPING on all orders! Shop Now.