Dear HI Travel Tales, I always buy the highest SPF I can get but I heard lately that may not be what I need. Sunscreen is so confusing. Can you help? P.M., Flagstaff, Ariz. You aren’t the only one. Therese Iknoian of HI Travel Tales conducted a major multiple-part investigation into sunscreens, manufacturing, ingredients, labels and government oversight that was published in May and June 2010, and she was shocked at what she learned – and found the same confusion in labels you do. Luckily, about a year later the U.S. Food and Drug Administration finally passed guidelines and many of...Read More
Category: Health & Safety
It’s not all that hard to realize why I hate ticks. The very thought of walking through woods and fields infested with ticks makes my skin crawl. Perhaps it is because of a tick’s predilection to attaching itself firmly to its host, in this case me, and then draining a seemingly prodigious quantity of blood from those dark and moist places where I would rather not have something alien nibbling. Even with my skin dipped in DEET and clothes soaked in permethrin, I am on edge.Read More
After more than three decades, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in summer 2011 approved guidelines for sunscreen brands on marketing, labeling and testing to help stop widespread sunscreen confusion. They went into affect in mid-2012 for major players, while smaller ones had until 2013 to comply. But there is still plenty of sunscreen confusion. First, consumers not only had no idea that there were finally regulations, let alone that there hadn’t been any before. Really. None. Not since the FDA started the process of determining rules in 1978. Indeed, there was nothing until 2011 that officially told brands that made all those...Read More
OUR LATEST POSTS
Save On Hotels!
- Central America
- North America
- South America
- South Pacific | Oceana
- StioSave 60% + Free Shipping On The Stio Shot 7 Down Jacket - Shop Now
- StioWinter Sale At Stio! Now Save Up To 60% On Past Season Styles At Stio.com. Shop Women's Here!
- Sierra Trading PostALPS Mountaineering 20?F Echo Lake Sleeping Bag - Synthetic, Mummy - Sale Price: $39.99, Retail Price: $79.99 (50% Off) Expires: April 27, 2017
- Sierra Trading PostSaucony Kinvara 7 Running Shoes (For Women) - Sale Price: $59.99, Retail Price: $110.00 (45% Off) Expires: April 27, 2017
- Eastern Mountain SportsEms Men's Techwick Vital Short-Sleeve Travel Tee - Size L - Sale Price: $15.00, Retail Price: $30.00 (50% Off) Expires: April 27, 2017
- PatagoniaBaby Micro D Snap-T Jacket - Now $29.00, Was $49.00 (Save $20.00) Expires: April 27, 2017
- MoosejawGet 30% back in Moosejaw Rewards Dollars. Use code 3XREWARD or the deal won't work and you'll ruin everything. Coupon Code: 3XREWARD Expires: April 30, 2017
- MoosejawGet 30% back in Moosejaw Rewards Dollars. Use code 3XREWARD or the deal won't work and you'll ruin everything. Ends 4/30/17, so hop to. Coupon Code: 3XREWARD Expires: April 30, 2017
- KUHLThe KUHL AIRSPEED(TM) LS Shirt is a game changer! Click Here to find out why.
- KUHLShop Kuhl.com for the best selection of the DESTROYR Pant, plus FREE SHIPPING on all orders! Shop Now.