It is the little things that often can add up when you are flying for vacation or business. From a bottle of water to change fees, here are a few tips on how to save money when flying.Read More
Category: Traveling Tips
When we first heard about the electronics ban the week of March 21, 2017, we were already confirmed to fly Turkish Airlines. Although there would be no problem flying to our destination via Istanbul, coming home in mid-April was shaping up to be a bit more complicated. As travel journalists, we typically carry a number of electronics that were not now going to be allowed in our carryons – computers, tablets, cameras, video equipment, and other electronic camera gear. Of course, this was a perfect opportunity to test the process and learn first-hand how this electronics ban would be affecting travelers.Read More
No matter which side of the political spectrum you are on, 2017 and beyond may mean U.S. citizens will need to take a few added precautions abroad to stay safe when traveling. But this advice doesn’t mean you should rethink traveling. Just the opposite in fact. Now, perhaps more than ever before, travel is essential to demonstrate to the world that American citizens as a whole are far more tolerant, willing to embrace new cultures and ideas, and certainly more educated about global affairs than is currently being represented to the world. Too, travel is critical to help shape our own understanding of the world and our place in it.Read More
Then …BOOM!!!… The unmistakable sound of an explosion or other impact came from the cockpit. Immediately the plane began to shake and, within seconds, we were executing a very tight turn and initiating a steep descent heading back toward Salt Lake City … and, I hoped, for the airport. She looked at me with very wide eyes. “You have an explanation for that, right?”Read More
Jet lag is nearly inevitable, really, when you travel at today’s pace across multiple time zones. Man was meant to saunter thousands of miles, not jet between continents to suddenly find himself propelled into tomorrow or reliving this morning. Avoiding jet lag is really all about minimizing jet lag’s effects. That is indeed possible, but some of what you need to do may seem counter-intuitive.Read More
When it comes to spending money in China as a traveler, there are any number of strategies, insights and challenges. Do you tip? How much should you bargain and where? How much is too much to spend for something? As we noted in our article about getting money in China (“Travel Guide to Managing Money in China”), dealing with the necessity of using and spending money in a foreign country is always a challenge. But it’s not a challenge that cannot be mastered smartly with a little thought and preparation.Read More
When traveling to China, figuring out how to deal with money (exchanging foreign currency and buying things) can be equal parts mystery and frustration. We’ve traveled to Mainland China multiple times over the past decade, most recently in Spring 2016, and learn something new about getting and managing money in China each time.Read More
Digital security is hard enough to maintain at home. Once you add in the variables of traveling, protecting your digital world becomes even more challenging. Here are 10 must-do tips from HI Travel Tales to help ensure your digital security when traveling.Read More
While English is one of the most commonly spoken languages in the world, if you really want to be comfortable traveling in a country where English is not the native tongue, it pays to know how to best communicate when traveling. Understanding and being comfortable with the many nuances of communication, no matter where you are in the world, is one of the key differences between being a traveler and a tourist, especially if you don’t speak the local language.Read More
How to blend in as a traveler is the wish of many, but how to achieve that traveler’s nirvana can be baffling. There you are, standing in line at a store in a different country thinking you look just like the locals, then the cashier takes one look at you, and addresses you in English. What?!?Read More
With the amount of VAT taxes in countries outside the United States, it can make a heckuva lot of financial sense to do some EU tax-free shopping. The European Union countries have been raising their VAT (Value-added Tax) in recent years, with most countries now 20%…or higher!Read More
Traveling takes planning and time. But it also takes flexibility, patience and an ability to adapt on the move. Late planes, canceled flights, delayed trains, no mobile signal, unfamiliar cities and foreign words can trip up even the most experienced traveler. Save the day with one or more of HI Travel Tales’ essential travel apps for your mobile device to keep you from punching out a ticket machine, experiencing air rage, or ending up in Bosnia when you meant to stay in Croatia.Read More
OUR LATEST POSTS
Save On Hotels!
- Central America
- North America
- South America
- South Pacific | Oceana
- PatagoniaBrimmed Beanie - Now $23.00, Was $39.00 (Save $16.00) Expires: April 25, 2017
- StioStio Men's CFS Board Short - 19" - 2016 - Sale Price: $44.50, Retail Price: $89.00 (50% Off) Expires: April 25, 2017
- Sierra Trading PostBrooks Cascadia 11 Trail Running Shoes (For Men) - Sale Price: $59.99, Retail Price: $120.00 (50% Off) Expires: April 25, 2017
- Eastern Mountain SportsNorthside Kids Brille Ii Water Shoes, Aqua/lime - Sale Price: $10.00, Retail Price: $16.99 (41% Off) Expires: April 25, 2017
- Sierra Trading PostMother's Day: Perfect Gifts. Perfect Prices. Valid through May 6, 2017.
- Eastern Mountain SportsGet 30-50% Off on Techwick at Eastern Mountain Sports During the EMS Clothing Sale! Shop Today and Save! Expires: April 25, 2017
- StioStio's Spring Arrivals Are Here! Free Shipping On All Orders - Shop Men's Here!
- MoosejawGet 30% back in Moosejaw Rewards Dollars. Use code 3XREWARD or the deal won't work and you'll ruin everything. Coupon Code: 3XREWARD Expires: April 30, 2017
- MoosejawGet 30% back in Moosejaw Rewards Dollars. Use code 3XREWARD or the deal won't work and you'll ruin everything. Ends 4/30/17, so hop to. Coupon Code: 3XREWARD Expires: April 30, 2017
- KUHLThe KUHL AIRSPEED(TM) LS Shirt is a game changer! Click Here to find out why.