Reading Time: 4 minutes It was the slap of kayak paddles that snapped my head around. We were floating on a Zodiac, engine silenced, in the middle of Paradise Harbor. At the behest of our boat driver, everybody on our raft with 10 people was doing his or her level best to sit still, listening to the Antarctic silence.
by Therese Iknoian | Apr 2, 2018
Reading Time: 9 minutes The key to staying warm in Antarctica is to combine the right fabrics and fit for apparel and outwear. Head to toe, the key is layering. Here are five simple tips to help you stay warm when it is very cold.
by Michael Hodgson | Mar 10, 2017
Reading Time: 6 minutes Antarctica. That one word for many inspires dreams of fulfilling a traveler’s bucket list to visit Antarctica. Antarctica’s siren call has become the stuff of legend, pulling mariners and explorers toward her shores for decades. Read what keeps pulling Ellen Schwab back to travel to Antarctica.
Antarctica Tours -- Suggested Tour Operators / Cruises
The following are tour operators and cruising companies we are familiar with and feel very comfortable recommending.
- Journeys International - Journeys is a tour operator that works directly with local companies and organizes trips around the world.
- Polar Latitudes - This company focuses only on the Antarctica and utilizes small, expeditionary ships outfitted for safety and comfort.
- Quark Expeditions - This company explores both the Arctic (north) and Antarctica (south), also using small, expeditionary ships.
Yes, it is true that Antarctica is the coldest, windiest and least-populated of any of the world’s continents. It is wilderness in the truest sense of the word. It is also a continent protected by an international collaboration that is, especially when seen through the lens of past and current global conflicts, unprecedented. And it is home to some of the most amazing wildlife imaginable – penguins, seals and whales to name but a few. For all of these reasons, and hundreds more, Antarctica worms its way into your soul. Its silence becomes a call you will hear in your dreams forever.
Most Recent Posts
- How to avoid getting traveler’s diarrhea or food poisoningJan 23, 2020 | Health
- Why we like buying travel insurance from World NomadsDec 15, 2019 | Insurance
- Christmas Garden Berlin – Christmas lights and mulled wineNov 25, 2019 | Berlin
- A perfect travel coffee maker: The coffee fix for travelersNov 14, 2019 | Gear