Reading Time: 4 minutes It was the slap of kayak paddles that snapped my head around. We were floating on a Zodiac, engine silenced, in the middle of Paradise Harbor. At the behest of our boat driver, everybody on our raft with 10 people was doing his or her level best to sit still, listening to the Antarctic silence.
by Therese Iknoian | Apr 2, 2018
Reading Time: 9 minutes The key to staying warm in Antarctica is to combine the right fabrics and fit for apparel and outwear. Head to toe, the key is layering. Here are five simple tips to help you stay warm when it is very cold.
by Michael Hodgson | Mar 10, 2017
Reading Time: 6 minutes Antarctica. That one word for many inspires dreams of fulfilling a traveler’s bucket list to visit Antarctica. Antarctica’s siren call has become the stuff of legend, pulling mariners and explorers toward her shores for decades. Read what keeps pulling Ellen Schwab back to travel to Antarctica.
Antarctica Tours -- Suggested Tour Operators / Cruises
The following are tour operators and cruising companies we are familiar with and feel very comfortable recommending.
- Journeys International - Journeys is a tour operator that works directly with local companies and organizes trips around the world.
- Polar Latitudes - This company focuses only on the Antarctica and utilizes small, expeditionary ships outfitted for safety and comfort.
- Quark Expeditions - This company explores both the Arctic (north) and Antarctica (south), also using small, expeditionary ships.
Download "Antarctic Silence" original artwork FREE!
If you are a member of our Subscriber Club you can download Michael's original artwork, Antarctic Silence as a printable PDF here. Not a member of our Subscriber Club yet? It is easy and free to join. Just click on the button below. In addition to full access to our free travel book and recipe library, you will receive a monthly newsletter full of travel inspiration from award-winning travel writers and photographers.
FREE TRAVEL BOOKS
OUR LATEST POSTS
- Shooting from the hip: how to take a photo on the slyMay 19, 2020 | Photography
- Feeling like Pac-Man traveling in the age of coronavirusMar 25, 2020 | Essays
- Fear of COVID-19 – traveling in the age of coronavirusMar 6, 2020 | Essays